ENGINEERING MECHANICS ( 2nd year 3rd semester )
UNIT I BASICS & STATICS OF PARTICLES
Introduction – Units and Dimensions – Laws of Mechanics – Lami’s theorem, Parallelogram and triangular Law of forces – Vectors – Vectorial representation of forces and couples – Vector operations: additions, subtraction, dot product, cross product – Coplanar Forces – Resolution and Composition of forces – Equilibrium of a particle – Forces in space – Equilibrium of a particle in space – Equivalent systems of forces – Principle of transmissibility – Single equivalent force.
UNIT II EQUILIBRIUM OF RIGID BODIES
Free body diagram – Types of supports and their reactions – requirements of stable equilibrium – Moments and Couples – Moment of a force about a point and about an axis –Scalar components of a moment – Varignon’s theorem – Equilibrium of Rigid bodies in two dimensions – Equilibrium of Rigid bodies in three dimensions – Examples
UNIT III PROPERTIES OF SURFACES AND SOLIDS
Determination of Areas and Volumes – First moment of area and the Centroid of sections –Second and product moments of plane area – Parallel axis theorem and perpendicular axis theorem – Polar moment of inertia – Principal moments of inertia of plane areas – Principal axes of inertia – Mass moment of inertia
UNIT IV FRICTION AND DYNAMICS OF RIGID BODY
Frictional force – Laws of Coloumb friction – simple contact friction – Belt friction.
Translation and Rotation of Rigid Bodies – Velocity and acceleration – General Plane motion.
UNIT V DYNAMICS OF PARTICLES
Displacements, Velocity and acceleration, their relationship – Relative motion – Curvilinear motion – Newton’s law – Work Energy Equation of particles – Impulse and Momentum – Impact of elastic bodies.
- Engineering Mechanics by R.S. Khurmi, S.Chand Publishers
- Natarajan, K.V., Engineering Mechanics, Dhanalakshmi Publishers, 2008.
- Rajasekaran,S. and Sankarasubramanian,G., Engineering Mechanics, Vikas Publishing House Pvt Ltd, 2006.
- Beer, F. P., and Johnston, E. R., Vector Mechanics for Engineers – Dynamics and Statics, Tata McGraw-Hill, New Delhi, 2001.
- Palanichamy, M. S., and Nagan, S., Engineering Mechanics (Statics and Dynamics),Tata McGraw Hill, New Delhi 2001.
- Kumar, K. L., Engineering Mechanics, Tata McGraw- Hill, New Delhi, 1998.
- Shames, I. H., and Krishna Mohana Rao, G., Engineering Mechanics (Statics and Dynamics), Dorling Kindersley India) Pvt. Ltd. (Pearson Education), 2006.
- Hibbeller, R.C., Engineering Mechanics, Vol. 1 Statics, Vol. 2 Dynamics, Pearson Education Asia Pvt. Ltd., 2000.
Download Engineering Mechanics Study Materials for free from the link below:
Click on Download
For more Mechanical Engineering text books, Study materials, notes, lab manuals and more continue browsing in /ourmechanicalengg.wordpress.com/