UNIT I Deformation of Solids
Introduction to Rigid and Deformable bodies – properties, Stresses – Tensile, Compressive and Shear, Deformation of simple and compound bars under axial load – Thermal stress – Elastic constants – Volumetric Strain, Strain energy and unit strain energy
UNIT II Torsion
Introduction – Torsion of Solid and hollow circular bars – Shear stress distribution – Stepped shaft – Twist and torsion stiffness – Compound shafts – Springs – types – helical springs – shear stress and deflection in springs – Wahl Factor.
UNIT III Beams
Types : Beams , Supports and Loads – Shear force and Bending Moment – Cantilever, Simply supported and Overhanging beams – Stresses in beams – Theory of simple bending – Shear stresses in beams – Evaluation of ‘I’ , ‘C’ & ‘T’ sections.
UNIT IV Deflection of Beams
Introduction – Evaluation of beam deflection and slope: Macaulay Method and Moment-area Method
UNIT V Analysis of stresses in two dimensions
Biaxial state of stresses – Thin cylindrical and spherical shells – Deformation in thin cylindrical and spherical shells – Principal planes and stresses – Mohr’s circle for biaxial stresses – Maximum shear stress – Strain energy in bending and torsion.
- A Text Book of Strength of Materials, R.K. Bansal., Lakshmi Publications Pvt. Limited, New Delhi, 1996
- Prabhu, T.J., Design of machine elements, Private Publication, 1999
- Ferdinand P.Beer, and Rusell Johnston, E., Mechanics of Materials, SI Metric Edition, McGraw Hill, 1992
- Popov E.P, “Engineering Mechanics of Solids”, Prentice-Hall of India, New Delhi, 1997.
- Beer F. P. and Johnson R, “Mechanics of Materials”, McGraw-Hill Book Co, Third Edition, 2002.
- Nash W.A, “Theory and problems in Strength of Materials”, Schaum Outline Series, McGraw-Hill Book Co, New York, 1995
- Kazimi S.M.A, “Solid Mechanics”, Tata McGraw-Hill Publishing Co, New Delhi, 1981
- Ryder G.H, “Strength of Materials”, Macmillan India Ltd., Third Edition, 2002
- Ray Hulse, Keith Sherwin & Jack Cain, “Solid Mechanics”, Palgrave ANE Books, 2004.
- Singh D.K “Mechanics of Solids” Pearson Education 2002.
- Timoshenko S.P, “Elements of Strength of Materials”, Tata McGraw-Hill, New Delhi 1997.
Notes for the above syllabus is in the link below. Download Strength of materials notes, text books for free: