Syllabus for Vel tech University Students:
UNIT I Design Of MECHANICAL DRIVES For Flexible Elements
Selection of V belts and pulleys– Selection of Flat belts and pulleys – Wire ropes and pulleys – Selection of Transmission chains and Sprockets. Design of pulleys and sprockets.
UNIT II Spur Gears and parallel axis Helical Gears
Gear Terminology-Speed ratios and number of teeth-Force analysis -Tooth stresses – Dynamic effects – Fatigue strength – Factor of safety – Gear materials – Module and Face width-power rating calculations based on strength and wear considerations – Parallel axis Helical Gears – Pressure angle in the normal and transverse plane- Equivalent number of teeth-forces and stresses. Estimating the size of the helical gears.
UNIT III Bevel, Worm and Cross helical gears
Straight bevel gear: Tooth terminology, tooth forces and stresses, equivalent number of teeth. Estimating the dimensions of pair of straight bevel gears. Worm Gear: Merits and demerits- terminology. Thermal capacity, materials-forces and stresses, efficiency, estimating the size of the worm gear pair. Cross helical: Terminology-helix angles-Estimating the size of the pair of cross helical gears.
UNIT IV Design of Gear Boxes
Geometric progression – Standard step ratio – Ray diagram, kinematics layout -Design of sliding mesh gear box -Constant mesh gear box. – Design of multi speed gear box.
UNIT V Design of CAM, Clutches and Brakes
Cam Design: Types-pressure angle and under cutting base circle determination-forces and surface stresses.Design of plate clutches –axial clutches-cone clutches-internal expanding rim clutches-internal and external shoe brakes.
- MachineDesign by R.K. Khurmi, J.K. Guptha.
- Prabhu, T. J., Design of Transmission Systems, Private Publication, 1999
- Mehtha, N. K., Machine Tool Design
- Shigley J., Mechanical Engineering Design, Mc Graw Hill, 2001
- Juvinall R. C., Marshek K.M., “Fundamentals of Machine component Design”, – John Wiley & Sons Third Edition, 2002.
- Bhandari, V.B., “Design of Machine Elements”, Tata McGraw-Hill Publishing Company Ltd., 1994.
- Maitra G.M., Prasad L.V., “Hand book of Mechanical Design”, II Edition, Tata McGraw-Hill, 1985.
- Shigley J.E and Mischke C. R., “Mechanical Engineering Design”, McGraw-Hill International Editions, 1989.
- Norton R.L, “Design of Machinery”, McGraw-Hill Book co, 2004.
- Hamrock B.J., Jacobson B., Schmid S.R., “Fundamentals of Machine Elements”, McGraw-Hill Book Co., 1999.
Design of Mechanical Drives (DMD) Study material, notes, Text book are provided in the links below download them for free………..
The below link provides you a e book (pdf book) of DMD in two parts for free download
Click to Download
Note: If you have downloaded all the books in Design of Machine Elements, then no need to download this.